Sunday, March 4, 2012

Zucchini Pancakes

The first thing my husband says at breakfast when he looks at my batter is "WHAT'S in the pancakes?!" and after I told him it was zucchini, he said "I think I will have a bowl of cereal." But after tasting these pancakes, I am pretty sure he changed his mind, especially after I heard him say, "I don't even need honey for these!". The original recipe idea came from a blog called Tasty Kitchen, but, of course, I made some modifications...Life just wouldn't be any fun if I couldn't add my own creative twist!

1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
3 TBSP Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
2 whole Eggs
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt (nonfat Is Fine, I used a black cherry flavor)
1/2 cup Sour Cream
4 TBSP Melted Butter
2 whole fresh Zucchini (about 2 cups), Grated or 2 cups thawed frozen grated zucchini drained
1/2 cup Milk


I first prepared my skillet for cooking by preheating to medium-high heat (350ºF).
After dear son whisked the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt), I worked on the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, I whisked the egg, yogurt, sour cream and melted butter together. We then combined the dry and wet ingredients together and mixed until just combined. Next step, fold in the grated drained thawed zucchini. To thin the batter, we added milk a little at a time until the batter consistency reached the desired thickness. The more you add, the thinner your pancakes will be. For me, 1/2 cup was enough to thin the batter but keep them nice and fluffy.
Scoop batter onto the griddle or frying pan and gently spread the batter if necessary. When we saw bubbles rising around the edges, we flipped the pancakes. I found that some of the pancakes took as long as 10 minutes to cook (5 minutes per side). Top with butter and honey or topping of your choosing! We like unsweetened applesauce, yogurt, and peanut butter on our pancakes, too! and even natural Jam sweetened only with fruit juice.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going out and buying zucchini today! I use real, organic, maple syrup on my pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always have an abundance of zucchini in the summer. This is a great way to use them. After harvesting zucchinis, grate them and freeze in quart size freezer bags to enjoy during the winter. Make sure to drain the excess water off after thawing before throwing in the batter.

    ReplyDelete