Sunday, March 4, 2012

Homemade Mac and Cheese

I must admit that I did not make this recipe, my husband did...but it was so good that I had to add the recipe to my blog for the next time my family wanted Mac and Cheese. I have a hard time serving the boxed Mac and Cheese to my family with all its processed and impossible to understand ingredients (Who really knows what's in that mystery "cheese" powder unless you are chemist and can clearly read each ingredient after "dehydrated processed cheese food". And what is cheese food anyway?!) I must give my husband kudos for trying this recipe and telling me where he got the idea, from the back of an elbow macaroni box. Thanks dear husband for the great meal! Next time, I may double the recipe, because it was just enough to feed our whole family of five. The youngest son, who is only two, had three helpings! He loved it so!

Ingredients:
1 12 oz package elbow macaroni (whole wheat, rice, or other pasta of your choice)
3 TBSP butter
3 TBSP flour (all-purpose or whole wheat)
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup minced onion
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup italian seasoning breadcrumbs

Cook the pasta according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat, until sauce thickens. Stir in salt and pepper. Add onion and cheese; stir until cheese melts. Stir cheese sauce into elbows. Spoon into a greased 2 quart baking dish. Top with bread crumbs. Bake 30 minutes.

Ronzoni Smart Taste Pasta www.ronzonismarttaste.com

No comments:

Post a Comment