Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Zucchini Sweet Corn Pancakes

I am absolutely amazed at the big home run this recipe was in my house tonight. I am not even kidding when I say my youngest had four helpings along with four helpings of the cheesy scrambled eggs we made. This recipe is very similar to the zucchini pancakes I made the other day. I should have doubled the recipe because the adults had hardly any pancakes left for them! All the kids and even the hubby loved this recipe, definitely a recipe I will make again!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 TBSP Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
2 whole Eggs
1 cup Greek Yogurt (nonfat Is Fine, I used a honey vanilla flavor this time)
4 TBSP Melted Butter
1 cup thawed frozen grated zucchini drained
1 cup frozen sweet corn (from a local farmer and frozen just for this special winter meal occasion)

I first prepared my skillet for cooking by preheating to medium-high heat (350ºF). This is important or it takes even longer for the pancakes to cook!

We whisked the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt) and then worked on the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, I whisked the eggs, yogurt, and melted butter together. We then combined the dry and wet ingredients together and mixed until just combined.

Next step, fold in the grated drained thawed zucchini and sweet corn. I had no need to thin the batter this time because there was still so much moisture in my frozen veggies, but if you do a better job of draining than I did this time around you may want to add a little bit of milk at a time until the batter consistency reaches your desired thickness. The more you add, the thinner your pancakes will be.

Scoop batter onto the griddle or frying pan and gently spread the batter if necessary. When we saw bubbles rising around the edges, we flipped the pancakes. I found that some of the pancakes took as long as 10 minutes to cook (5 minutes per side).

There was no need to top these pancakes with anything. The pancakes are sweet enough on their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment