Sunday, March 7, 2010

Homemade Tomato Soup

This damp cold weather always makes me feel chilled to the bone. So, today I decided to warm up my family and me with the greatest comfort food, soup. This soup idea was a mixture of several soup recipes, so I can't really credit one individual place as I normally do for this creation.

Ingredients:
2 cans diced tomatoes use juice
1 can muir glen organic fire roasted tomatoes
1 16oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced celery
3 TBSP olive oil
1-2 TBSP minced or diced garlic
1 TBSP basil
1 TBSP oregano
salt and pepper to season
1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan....tastes better if using a block of Parmesan cheese
1 cup milk

In a saucepan, add olive oil and heat. To the olive oil, add onions, celery, garlic, basil and oregeno. Cook until onions are translucent. Add tomatoes, sauce, parmesan cheese, and milk. Cook for 2 minutes, add to blender, and liquefy. Add back to saucepan and cook for a few minutes longer. This is a large batch of soup and could serve 8. I put a serving in a smaller plastic container to eat as meals during work. serve with bread or crackers or even grilled cheese sandwiches.

I can't wait until I have fresh herbs from my garden to give this recipe a try and see if it makes any difference to the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment