Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Apple-Pear-Cranberry Crisp

I was looking for something sweet to eat without the refined sugar to elevate my blood sugar, and still get a serving of fresh fruit. My sweet tooth took me to one of my favorite healthy vegan cooks - Christina. Its easy to make and the topping only has a little bit of flour. I think I will have to experiment to see if I can make this recipe gluten free, too, not just healthy!

The Topping:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup light olive oil
1/2 cup brown rice syrup (found one brand at the co-op)
1/4-1/2 cup skim milk (the original recipe calls for Eden rice and soy blend or vanilla rice or soy milk) The original recipe also calls for 1/2 cup coarsely minced pecans, but I did not have any on hand so decided to just leave them out.

The Filling:
3-4 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1-2 pears peeled and sliced (the recipe did not call for this, but I had some on hand that needed to be eaten)
3/4 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
1 TBSP light olive oil
2 TBSP corn flour (the original recipe called for arrowroot flour, but alas I had none on hand)
2 TBSP brown rice syrup

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 deg and lightly oil a standard square baking dish. Combine the dry ingredients with the spices. Mix in oil and rice syrup to make a soft dough. Slowly mix in skim milk until a thick batter forms. Fold in the pecans if you have them available.

Mix apples, pears, and cranberries with olive oil to coat. Stir in corn flour and brown rice syrup and spread in baking dish. Spoon topping on top, over the surface of fruit. Bake until fruit is bubbling and topping is golden and firm, about 30 minutes. I plan on serving this warm with a dollop of frozen yogurt or heavy whipping cream whipped into peaks. Makes about 8 servings suggests the recipe, but whatever. I think my family of four will have no problem eating up this entire dessert in one sitting.

Ok...After actually enjoying/eating this desert, I retract my previous statement. It is a very filling desert and easily makes eight servings.

Whipped Topping:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 TBSP vanilla flavoring
Whip until peaks form. Serve on top of dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment