Monday, January 28, 2013

Homemade Flour Tortillas

It seems like forever since I posted a recipe to this blog and only yesterday when I was holding my youngest newborn son, just a tiny babe...Now, he is no longer a tiny babe, but a strong growing boy almost one year old. This realization just increases my desire to find healthy unprocessed meals for my family to consume. Tonight's experiment, homemade flour tortillas!

I have always wanted to try these, but was afraid it would be difficult or take too much time, but in reality, it was so easy, a few simple ingredients and a few easy steps. My inspiration for this recipe was a blog called Tasty Kitchen. I am so grateful for the detailed steps and all the pictures that made this so easy for a visual learner like myself. I see myself using this recipe often! Next time, I think I will try whole wheat flower and see how it tastes.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups Organic, Unbleached Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
  • ⅓ cups Olive Oil
  • 1 cup Hot Water

Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder with a whisk. Add the olive oil and mix with your fingers until all the oil is incorporated and the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Add 1 cup of hot water and mix until a ball is formed. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes or let it rest over night to have it prepared in advanced.

Divide the dough into 12 balls and roll out one at a time on a floured surface.  Notice I only have eight in the bowl...I remembered to take a picture after I already started rolling out the dough.

 



Brush off excess flour. Cook on a hot, ungreased griddle over medium-high heat. Turn the tortilla when brown blisters form on the first side and you notice air bubbles forming. Stack the tortillas and serve warm.

  
I think we have a winner with this recipe! My daughter is all smiles as she enjoys a supper of slow cooker pork fajitas with lettuce, cheese, and black bean and corn salsa. My school aged children will be enjoying these tortillas for school lunch as a quesadilla with extra cheese and pork from today's slow cooker meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment