Saturday, February 18, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes (Tripled)

 Love Saturday Mornings!
A Saturday morning is a great time to make a healthy breakfast of banana pancakes for this family, especially with our busy week day mornings and four bananas ripe and ready for a recipe! I am officially at 35 weeks pregnant and looking to make double or even triple of recipes to put in the freezer for healthy meals after the baby comes. So this morning, I tripled my normal banana pancake recipe and added oatmeal for some extra texture (I have some in my cabinet that should be used soon before it goes stale). Here is the tripled recipe ingredient list below. My original whole wheat banana pancakes recipe will feed my family of 5 for one meal only. 

Great Reasons for this Recipe!
The kids love to help with this recipe! Another reason I love this recipe is that the only sweetener involved is Honey and only a small amount. The overly ripe black speckled bananas add a natural sweetness as well. Another great reason I love pancakes on the weekends and making an over abundance is that the kids can just pop them in the toaster during the week before school for a quick and healthy breakfast. 

The Toppings!
To my husbands dismay, I no longer purchase pancake syrup...I don't like serving my family high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners for various reasons, so instead my kids can choose from various toppings such as nonfat yogurt with natural fruit, unsweetened natural apple or pear sauce, natural peanut butter (without the added sugar), natural jelly sweetened with fruit juice, or sometimes I make my own fruit compote' with applesauce and berries. My husband likes to sneak the honey from the cupboard and substitute that for the pancake syrup or mix it with his unsweetened peanut butter. I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as my family does!

Ingredients:

3 c. whole wheat flour
6 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. oatmeal (not the instant kind)
3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp of kosher salt
3 c. skim milk
3 TBSP honey
4-5 mashed, ripe bananas
3 tbsp. olive oil
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Dear Daughter mashing away! Soon it will be Dear Son's turn.
Peel the bananas, place in a bowl, and mash with a fork. My kids take turns with this job, because it's "hard work" or so they say;) Combine the first 6 ingredients, all dry ingredients. Stir well.
All the dry ingredients.
Combine milk and next 4 ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until smooth.
Dear Son stirring the wet ingredients...if the batter
is too thick add more milk to thin.
 I use a soup ladle to pour the batter into a well oiled frying pan or griddle set to medium high heat. Flip the pancakes when you notice bubbling in the batter. Yields: 24-30 (4 inch) pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment