Sunday, April 12, 2015

Blueberry Corn Griddle Cakes

For a slow weekend morning with lots more time to make a special breakfast for the kids, we are enjoying griddle cakes. I guess the best way to describe this special breakfast is to compare it to pancakes except with cornmeal. A healthy alternative to the over processed and over sugared pancakes of our previous diet. I must admit that this recipe is not mine originally, but a recipe from my favorite vegan cook Christina Pirella, from "Christina Cooks". I tweaked her recipe a little bit, so notice any notes for changes.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I wonder how this would taste with corn flour substituted for those with gluten allergies?)
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
generous pinch sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
grated zest of 1 orange (original recipe calls for zest of 1 lemon)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar (Christina calls for brown rice vinegar, but currently not in my cupboards)
2 TBSP light olive oil
1 1/2 to 2 cups skim milk (Christina calls for 1-2 cups of vanilla soy milk)
1 1/2 cup frozen blueberries thawed and well drained (Christina calls for fresh blueberries, but right now out of season and very expensive)

Whisk together flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.

Mix in lemon zest, rice vinegar, and 2 tablespoons oil. Slowly mix in milk to create a thin batter.  I like my batter thin rather than thick so I tend to add a little over 2 cups of milk.

This is after one cup of milk.
After 1 1/2 cups milk.
Zest of orange using a micro-planer.
The final step is to gently fold in the blueberries or your batter will turn blue. I did not drain the frozen blueberries, so as you can see from my photo, the batter is a little blue. Oh Well!



Lightly oil (with olive oil) a griddle or skillet and warm over medium heat. Spoon batter onto hot griddle to form 3 inch rounds and cook until golden. I like to use a soup ladle to scoop the batter into the pan.


Flip each pancake and cook until golden. Serve smothered in the applesauce/blueberry sauce or organic maple syrup. See recipe below for the sauce.



Sauce:
all natural applesauce 1-1/2 cup (I use homemade applesauce)
1 cup blueberries frozen
Cook over medium heat until heated through and saucy.

(Christina calls for Suzanne's Specialties Blueberry Rice Nectar, but of course this item is currently not available in my kitchen so I improvised with the above sauce.)

No comments:

Post a Comment