Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Baja Black Beans and Rice

It seems like forever since my last post, but with the new baby and and running for soccer, planning for gatherings, and trying to squeeze in household chores between naps and feedings, I sometimes feel overwhelmed and not enthusiastic in my quest to try new recipes. Lately, I have been relying on freezer meals that I planned and made before baby David arrived, but ever since my stash of freezer meals has disappeared due to consumption, much of our diet lately has consisted of too many "stick in the oven" processed meals.

As I am looking for food ideas in my cupboard, I found an over abundance of brown rice, 10 boxes of brown rice as a matter of fact...What to do ...what to do?! I think it is time to use more brown rice in my cooking, so the next few days watch for recipes involving brown rice. Here is today's experiment. I served it at lunch for my boys while everyone else was at work and school. My oldest boy loved it and ate every last bite, but my middle boy refused to even try it...I thoroughly enjoyed it as well!

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can corn drained (or 1 cup frozen corn)
2 fresh tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Directions: Cook the brown rice. While brown rice is cooking, in a medium bowl, combine black beans, corn, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, oil, salt, and pepper. Once the rice completes cooking and is slightly cooled, mix with the black bean mixture and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment