Sunday, February 19, 2012

Garlic Baked Potato Wedges

A favorite side dish for my family (I first tried the recipe from Pinterest at The Purple Foodie), my kids really disliked the cornstarch and found it too breaded... So, I stuck with my original baked potato wedge recipe, but added more olive oil, garlic and sea salt for a new twist. I hope your family likes it as much as mine...We Love Garlic! I must admit while this is a non-processed recipe that is baked not fried, it may not be the healthiest selection for a side dish. It's a guilty pleasure of mine without the guilt I would feel if I ate fast food french fries.

Ingredients:
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 6-7 russet potatoes (about 8oz each), each cut into 6-12 wedges
  • 1 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • Organic Ketchup
  • Mayonnaise
Preheat oven to 425° F. Scrub the potatoes and leave the skins on. Pierce with a small knife and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes until slightly tender but not cooked all the way through. Allow the potatoes to cool slightly and cut into wedges.

Combine the garlic, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and oil in a large bowl.  Add the potatoes to the bowl with the garlic mixture and toss well to coat. Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on a greased baking sheet and bake, turning once, until golden brown and crisp, 30 to 40 minutes. Sometimes, to bake even faster, I switch the oven to broil and cook under the broiler at the highest temperature for 15-20 minutes rather than waiting the extra 20-30 minutes at 425° F.


Serve with ketchup, mayo or sour cream. My family's favorite is ketchup and mayo mixed together as a dipping sauce. The main dish is the French Dip with Au Jus.

4 comments:

  1. What if the potatoes I have are small red potatoes? I can cut them in half to bake, but how long do I cook them in the microwave, since they are smaller? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use whatever potatoes I have on hand or whatever is on sale for the week (not necessarily russets) and if the potatoes are smaller in size, I would heat for one to two minutes at a time and make sure that the potatoes do not turn mushy in the microwave. It is easier to mix with the oil and seasonings if the potatoes are still firm to the touch.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. How many small potatoes can I cook at once for that time amount?

      Delete
    3. I have a fairly large microwave and can fit all 6-7 potatoes in my microwave at one time. Depending on the size of your microwave, you may be able to do the same...I would read the user manual for your microwave for extra help with this question.

      Delete