Saturday, November 5, 2011

SouthWestern Refried Beans and Chimichangas

It seems like forever since I posted a healthy recipe on my blog website but with this fourth pregnancy, my cravings have been varied and inconsistent with most leaning towards the NOT healthy. In my previous pregnancies, my cravings have been very consistent. My first child was anything home cooked and bread stuffing, YUM! My second child was authentic Mexican food, the spicier the better! With my third, anything sweet. And this one....Well, it started with any shaved ice beverage from fruity to coffee, then to Wings, buffalo or sweet, didn't matter. After that, fruit pies and chocolate deserts. Now, I am craving Mexican food, but not the spicy variety like I did with my second child. So here is one of my favorite Mexican recipes, homemade re-fried beans! It's healthy! and originally from ediets.com many years ago with some modifications of course.


Ingredients:
1 TBsp olive oil
1 can pinto beans
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
dash of salt for flavor
2 TBsp salsa (I used our homemade from the garden)

Mince the garlic and set aside. I use a small holed cheese grater to mince into fine pieces. Rinse and drain the beans in a strainer, set aside. Heat a non-stick skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Saute' garlic until soft, be careful not to burn or brown it or you will have to start completely over and wash the frying pan, totally ruining the flavor of your dish. Add the beans, vegetable broth and spices, raise the heat to medium high and cook covered for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.

(My daughter mashing the beans with the potato masher.
Disregard the dirty condition of my stove.)
Using a fork or potato masher, until just smooth. I don't mind if it is as smooth as the re-fried beans in the can...I leave a few beans for show. Continue cooking 3-5 minutes more until thickened. Stir in salsa. This has more flavor than any canned re-fried beans and my family loves it. We are making chimichangas tonight and this is our main ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment