Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Mexican Brown Rice

Needed something a little extra to go with the enchiladas I am making for supper tonight, I found this recipe online at Allrecipes.com and modified it slightly to fit my family's tastes. If concerned about the processed taco seasoning in a package like I am, you can make your own. I will submit my recipe as soon as I can.
 
Ingredients:
  • 4 cups uncooked instant brown rice
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
  • 1 (15.25 ounce) can kidney beans unsalted, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes or a can of Rotel, drained
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup shredded lettuce

Directions

  1. In a saucepan bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer according to directions on package. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
  2. Stir in taco seasoning, kidney beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (or can of Rotel), salt, pepper and lettuce.
  3. Cook over medium heat until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment