Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Middle Eastern Tabouleh Salad

After working two weeks at 8h and Railroad Center in Downtown Sioux Falls, I spent many enjoyable meals at Sanaa's, a Middle Eastern restaurant immediately next door to where I was teaching this last summer. Tabbouleh salad, I must say, was my favorite item on the menu, and I ate it with every meal I had there. I even substituted it for the rice, it was so delicious. Tabbouleh Salad is a classic Middle Eastern dish made with bulgur, cinnamon, allspice, tomato and parsley. Serve with grilled meats and fish. I found this recipe at www.sheknows.com.

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons fine bulgur
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 pound ripe tomatoes, cored and minced
  • 3-1⁄2 cups minced flat-leaf parsley
  • 1-1⁄4 cups minced mint leaves
  • 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

  1. Place the bulgur and the water into a medium-sized bowl, cover and allow to soak for 12 minutes.
  2. Drain and rinse the bulgur and then place in a salad bowl. Top with the tomatoes, parsley, mint, lemon juice, oil, vinegar, scallion and a few pinches of salt and pepper to taste. Toss the mixture well to combine and then serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment