Monday, April 12, 2010

quinoa and black beans

A new grain our family tried tonight. I think it went over very well. This recipe is alot like black beans and rice, but substituted with quinoa. I got this recipe idea from allrecipes.com.

1 tsp olive oil
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped.
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen kernels
1 can black beans rinsed and drained

Heal the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans.

I was surprised at how much the quinoa seeds plumped so much during cooking, so a cup of quinoa seeds dry could yield almost 4-5 cups after cooking. After supper I had so much left, I let it cool and added 2 celery sticks chopped, 1 can of Rotel tomatoes, lemon juice, and 1/2 cucumber diced. This will be my lunch for the rest of the week. My daughter will be having the first part of the recipe in her lunch box tomorrow. We will see how she likes it reheated.

No comments:

Post a Comment