Thursday, March 11, 2010

Vegetarian Chili

I need to make a trip to the store so my food choice selections are limited right now and with the snowy rainy weather today, I hope it doesn't prohibit me from driving to the store tomorrow to restock my cupboards. With the weather damp like it is, I know it puts me in the mood for soup (again!). I just happen to have all the ingredients necessary to make another simple fast healthy and delicious soup recipe. The influences for this recipe come from the Harcombe diet recipe book, so I can't take full credit, but it has been adapted for ease and taste to fit my family.

Ingredients:
1 medium size onion finely chopped
2 TBSP minced garlic or cloves of fresh garlic if you prefer. It will certainly add more flavor if it is fresh.
2 TBSP olive oil
1 green pepper diced
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, green beans, and peas)
1 can kidney beans (look at the ingredient list, especially if you are avoiding sugar. I found "Mrs. Grimes dark red kidney beans with no salt added" the only brand without added sugar in the ingredient list.)
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel works too)
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp cumin
2 to 4 TBSP chili powder (according to your taste buds)
1 pinch of ground cayenne pepper
sea salt and ground pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, and peppers, cook till soft. Add minced garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook until heated through (20 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment